Basic Photo Editing in Photoshop

What Did I Learn?

I learned a lot about the different tools in Photoshop during this project. I had used a couple of the tools in e9 last year, but this went more in depth about the different ways you can use them. Some of the tools we used were Content Aware Fill, Patch Tool, Spot Healing Brush, and making a portrait collage. You could take out the little items in the background and make it seem like that nothing was there. Also you can use the brush tool with another layer to color in black or white so it helps blend the picture together. The last thing that I didn't know about Photoshop was the clone stamp tool. It allows you to select another part of the background and use that color to help fill in the needed spaces if there is a discoloration.

Prior Knowledge

Some of the tools that I had already worked with before are the text tool, the move tool, lasso tool, and parts of the brush tool. I had added layers and layer masks before but not the Hue/Saturation adjustments. I would say that the further you progressed in the videos, the more challenging they were. The first 3 videos or so were just the basics, but the last 3 used the skills learned in the previous videos and brought them all together. The collage definitely took the longest since there were 6 videos just for it. During some of the challenges I struggled with the tools but I asked my friends sitting next to me and they were able to help me out.

Future Designs


During this project, I learned several techniques that could help me out in the future. I can get rid of unwanted items in the background and touch it up. I will be able to create layers for certain parts of a picture if needed. During the collage, we had to extend the background to make it seem like it was taking up the whole background when really the original wasn't. Another thing during the collage was taking another picture of the girl and cropping her shirt so we could use it. In the middle picture of the collage, her arms were cut off so we took the cropped shirt and made a layer mask so we could fill it in and make it feel more natural. Overall this project was fun at the beginning but got a little annoying at the end since some of the tools didn't seem to work and the video producer was working with an older version of Photoshop.


































Comments